We just completely updated our website. Let us know if you are encountering any issues.

Didždvaris Manor homestead en lt

The recent years’ research diggings reveal that in the current territory of Didžvaris Manor there used to stand buildings of Šiauliai already in the 16th century. It is supposed that those buildings used to be wooden.    

The new stonework construction in the territory of Didždvaris is related to the 18th century and Antanas Tyzenhauzas’ (1733-1786) the administrator of Šiauliai Economy’s activity. In the second half of the 18th century the importance of Šiauliai city as an administration centre was increasing, thus, a new prestigious residence for the administrator was necessary. During the reconstruction while following the classical principles a huge part of the Manor homestead with a park was built.

Since the end of the 18th century the Didžvaris Manor was devolved to Zubovai family.  Shortly the reconstruction and rearrangement of the Manor started. The Manor Estate obtained its greatest importance while it was managed by Dmitrijus Zubovas (1764-1836), then by his son Nikolajus Zubovas (1801-1871) and by his grandson Nikolajus Zubovas (1832-1898). The administration of Šiauliai Economy from Ginkūnai was transferred to the Didžvaris Manor Estate in 1837 and it became the centre of the Economy.

In the middle of the 19th century many buildings of the Manor were rebuilt or newly built. A lot of attention was drawn to the economic, industrial activities, for example, a large steam mill, a large metal processing company, in 1867 a modern beer brewery were constructed.

In the second half of the 19th century the Manor park was planted based on the English free layout style. It is likely that at that time the so-called Didžvaris gateway was built. It used to stand in the current Aušra’s alley and Chestnut alley starting in the street Vilniaus. The park consisted mainly of local trees although some were brought from abroad.

In the late 19th century – in the beginning of the 20th century Didždvaris became one of the culture and education centres. In the end of the 19th century there used to operate a secret library. Later a Public Library was opened. In 1900 the Citizens’ club moved into the Zubovai’s Manor. As a consequence, the festive evenings were organized at the weekends and urban intellectuals gathered here.

In 1898 Nikolajus and Aleksandra Zubovai bestowed a plot and bricks for the construction of the Girls’ Gymnasium. In 1912 Vladimiras and Sofija Zubovai promoted the construction of the Teachers’ Seminary. Until the new building was going to be built, the Teachers’ Seminary could have a shelter in the palace of Didžvaris, but the World War I started and it interrupted all these plans.

Although during World War I Šiauliai was badly damaged, however, almost all the Manor Estate buildings remained. At that time the Manor Estate consisted of more than twenty buildings. Later the palace together with the kitchen building and an orchard were redeemed from the Zubovai. The Teachers’ Seminary was established in the palace, an exemplary Grammar School was founded in the kitchen building.  

In 1922 the Zubovai gave to the city the park of the Manor Estate and were eager the townspeople to visit this park freely.  

After World War II some Manor period buildings were reconstructed, rebuilt, while some became a part of new constructions or decayed completely.

Nearby

Sites

World Heritage Sites Brutalisms Atlas Obscuras Audio Guides News
NameSinceDistance
La ville Talsi en 152kmsite_izi
European Night of Museums in Šiauliai 2019 en lt ru 1.4kmsite_izi
Bubiai Manor homestead en lt 14.1kmsite_izi
THE OBJECTS OF JEWISH HERITAGE IN ŠIAULIAI en lt 1.6kmsite_izi
Ginkūnai Manor homestead en lt 3.4kmsite_izi
Aleksandrija Manor Homestead en lt 4.1kmsite_izi
Audioguide of Kuldiga by local girl de en ru 141.4kmsite_izi
Riga Cinema Map en lv ru 123.5kmsite_izi
Riga with Tim Richards en 122.9kmsite_izi
Underground Riga de en lv ru 122.7kmsite_izi
Freedom Monument 2020123.2kmsite_ao
‘The Black Ghost’ 2019139kmsite_ao
Christ’s Resurrection Church 2019120.9kmsite_ao
Pokaini Forest 201972.2kmsite_ao
Seduvos Malunas 201933.1kmsite_ao
Saint Nicholas Naval Cathedral 2019157.9kmsite_ao
Jauniela (New Street) 2019122.7kmsite_ao
Sugihara House 2019122.3kmsite_ao
Salaspils Memorial Ensemble 2019120.7kmsite_ao
Stone Head of Salaspils 2019122.7kmsite_ao
Lithuania’s Oldest Funicular 2018121kmsite_ao
A Unique Museum Dedicated to a Famed Soviet Filmmaker 2017157.1kmsite_ao
Castle of Light 2018121.8kmsite_ao
Lithuanian Ethnocosmology Museum 2018156.7kmsite_ao
The Three Brothers 2018122.9kmsite_ao
The Giant Who Built Riga 2017122.6kmsite_ao
The First Ever Public Christmas Tree 2016122.6kmsite_ao
Bridge to Nowhere 2018110.6kmsite_ao
Europe’s Widest Waterfall 2017141.1kmsite_ao
Karosta North Pier 2018158.7kmsite_ao
The Extinct Town of Schirwindt 2017132.2kmsite_ao
Hats From Around The World 2017123.9kmsite_ao
Museum of the Red Latvian Riflemen (today: Museum of the Occupation of Latvia) 122.6kmsite_brutalism
Salaspils Memorial 1959120.7kmsite_brutalism
Kernavė Archaeological Site (Cultural Reserve of Kernavė) 2004150.8kmsite_whs
Historic Centre of Riga 1997123.6kmsite_whs
Curonian Spit 2000165kmsite_whs

About the source: izi.TRAVEL

Izi aims to connect cities, museums, and their stories with travellers who want to explore the world in a brand new, innovative way: via a global, open and free platform.

Leave a Reply