Walking into the Victoria and Albert Museum’s café feels a bit like entering the inside of a Fabergé egg: No space is left untouched by the grandeur of gilded domes, ornate tiles, and ceramic wall reliefs.
The first museum café in the world, the V&A’s original “refreshment room” opened in 1856, but was subsequently demolished and reopened in 1868 as three separate refreshment rooms, which still exist for visitors’ enjoyment. Named after their principal designers:—James Gamble, Edward Poynter, and William Morris—the original design elements remain today, somewhat worse for wear, but steadfast in their glory.
|Francis Bacon’s Studio and Home||2019||0.5km||site_ao|
|Chi-Chi the Giant Panda||2019||0.3km||site_ao|
|Victoria and Albert Museum WWII Battle Scars||2019||0km||site_ao|
|Alfred Russel Wallace Statue||2019||0.3km||site_ao|
|Ernest Shackleton Statue||2019||0.6km||site_ao|
|London’s Rose-Ringed Parakeets||2019||1.3km||site_ao|
|V&A Dog Memorials||2019||0.1km||site_ao|
|Tower of London Barbary Lion Skulls||2019||0.3km||site_ao|
|The Clockmakers’ Museum||2018||0.2km||site_ao|
|Mary Anning’s Plesiosaur||2018||0.3km||site_ao|
|‘The Rocket’ Locomotive||2018||0.2km||site_ao|
|Alfred Hitchcock’s London Flat||2018||1.3km||site_ao|
|Hyde Park Barracks||0.8km||site_brutalism|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.