Many people think Coventry only has two cathedrals: the fantastic modern one and the ruins of the adjacent one destroyed during World War II, the Cathedral of St. Michael. However, there are actually the ruins of a third cathedral in the area.
St. Mary’s Priory Cathedral was founded in the 12th century. It became Coventry’s first Cathedral in 1102, pre-dating St. Michael’s by several hundred years. It was the only English cathedral destroyed as a result of the Protestant Reformation. This was because it had joint status as both a cathedral and a monastic institution. As such, it was closed and then destroyed as a result of Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries.
|The ‘Coventry Doom’ Spent Centuries Hiding in Plain Sight||2019||0.1km||site_ao|
|The Phil Silvers Archival Museum||2018||1km||site_ao|
|Cheylesmore Manor Gatehouse||2018||0.5km||site_ao|
|Remains of the Whitefriars Friary||2018||0.5km||site_ao|
|St. Mary’s Guildhall||2018||0.2km||site_ao|
|Coventry Cathedral Ruins||2018||0.1km||site_ao|
|Thrust SSC and Thrust 2||2018||0.2km||site_ao|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.