Hidden beside a monument in the Hendrie Park Gardens at Burlington’s Royal Botanical Gardens is the headstone of an accomplished Thoroughbred racehorse, Martimas. The marker preserves a part of the land’s horse racing history.
The Hendrie Park Gardens is actually part of the former Valley Farm, a 122-acre parcel of land once owned by William Hendrie, an immigrant from Scotland born in 1831. Decades after his father’s death in 1906, his son, George, donated the farm to the citizens of Hamilton in 1931, and thus created the Hendrie Park Gardens.
|Abandoned Skate Park on the Bruce Trail||2021||4km||site_ao|
|Millicent Milroy Memorial||2021||37.5km||site_ao|
|McMaster Campus Sculpture Tour en||4.6km||site_izi|
|Basilica of Our Lady Immaculate||2019||41.4km||site_ao|
|Guelph Covered Bridge||2019||40.6km||site_ao|
|The Petrie Building||2019||41.3km||site_ao|
|Halton County Radial Railway||2019||37.5km||site_ao|
|Hamilton Central Library||3.5km||site_brutalism|
|Life Sciences Building, McMaster University||4.7km||site_brutalism|
|Health Sciences Centre, McMaster University||4.8km||site_brutalism|
|City Hall and Magistrate Court||1964||35.3km||site_brutalism|
|South Residence, University of Guelph||38.7km||site_brutalism|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.