The church of Gesù Nuovo (New Jesus) is a monumental religious building in Naples. It was built by the Jesuit order between 1584 and 1725, replacing a previous building, and it takes its name from the fact that a church of Jesus already existed in the city.
Gesù Nuovo is considered one of the finest examples of the Neapolitan Baroque style, adorned by numerous beautiful pieces by various famous artists. But among the magnificence and opulence it is easy to miss that the last of the chapels on the left side, known as Chapel of Saint Francesco de Geronimo, which houses 70 relics belonging to different martyrs of the early Christian age.
|Sacristy of San Domenico Maggiore||2020||0.3km||site_ao|
|Tomb of the First Bishop of New York||2020||0.3km||site_ao|
|Anjou-Aragonese-Spanish en it||1.3km||site_izi|
|Greek Naples – between the Naples museum of archeology and the historical center en it zh||2016||0.9km||site_izi|
|Church of Santa Luciella ai Librai||2020||0.5km||site_ao|
|San Gennaro Mural||2020||0.8km||site_ao|
|Via dei Presepi||2019||0.6km||site_ao|
|Europe’s Most Beautiful Metro Station||2019||0.6km||site_ao|
|MUSA Anatomy Museum||2018||0.7km||site_ao|
|The Arm of St. Thomas Aquinas||2018||0.3km||site_ao|
|Skull Cult of Saint Mary of the Souls of Purgatory||2017||0.5km||site_ao|
|Anatomy Museum of the University of Campania Luigi Vanvitelli||2018||0.7km||site_ao|
|Historic Centre of Naples||1995||1km||site_whs|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.