Kings Square (also spelled King’s) is one of the main public squares in the city of York. Unlike others however, this was not always by design. Until 1937, a church was located here known as both Holy Trinity, King’s Court (to distinguish it from other Holy Trinity churches in the city such as Goodramgate) and Christ Church.
Originally larger, Christ Church’s extension was gradually reduced during the 18th-century, with documented reductions in 1768. More came in 1829, and finally a full renovation in 1861. Despite these changes, the church would eventually be declared redundant and was demolished, making way for the modern-day square.
|Holy Trinity Church, Goodramgate||2020||0.1km||site_ao|
|The York Ghost Merchants||2020||0km||site_ao|
|aardappel york en||0.4km||site_izi|
|York: chocolate, Vikings, ghosts & kings en||0.8km||site_izi|
|‘Constantine the Great’||2020||0.2km||site_ao|
|Dick Turpin’s Tombstone||2020||0.6km||site_ao|
|An Incredibly Well-Preserved Piece of 9th-Century Viking Poop||2018||0.3km||site_ao|
|York Minster Astronomical Clock||2018||0.3km||site_ao|
|The Snickelways of York||2018||0.1km||site_ao|
|Shambles of York||2018||0.1km||site_ao|
|Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate: The Oddest Street Name in York||2017||0.1km||site_ao|
|Assembly Hall, Bootham School||0.7km||site_brutalism|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.