During the 17th century, a quarter of Seville’s population died during a plague. The main hospital, where a majority of the patients were brought, was the Hospital de las Cinco Llagas (Hospital of the Five Holy Wounds). Despite its size, there were so many ill patients during the plague that those near death were often found crowded on the esplanade. According to the chronicler Ortiz de Zuñiga, of around 26,700 plague victims who entered the hospital alive, about 22,900 parished.
The building was designed by Martín de Gainza, who supervised its construction until his death in 1556. Hernán Ruiz II was commissioned to continue the project and the hospital was inaugurated two years later.
|Yemas de San Leandro||2019||1.6km||site_ao|
|Sevilla World Heritage Sites en||2.2km||site_izi|
|Royal Shipyards of Seville||2019||2.3km||site_ao|
|Expo ’92 Grounds||2018||1.6km||site_ao|
|A Trove of Treasured Paintings, Housed In a 17th-Century Hospital||2017||2.2km||site_ao|
|Cathedral, Alcázar and Archivo de Indias in Seville||1987||2.4km||site_whs|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.