When John Galt founded Guelph in 1827, he designated the highest point in the new city as the location for a Catholic church. Three churches have been built on the site: The first burned down, the second was outgrown, and the third is the Basilica of Our Lady Immaculate, a Gothic Revival style church that took more than 50 years to complete.
The church was designed by the renowned Ontario architect Joseph Connolly. While it was meant to rival St. Peter’s in Rome, the building was designed in the style of the Cologne Cathedral. Construction began in 1876, and in 1888 it was dedicated as the Church of Our Lady. The exterior of the church would not be finished until 1926, when the church’s two towers were finally completed.
|McMaster Campus Sculpture Tour en||41.2km||site_izi|
|West Montrose Covered Bridge||2020||19.1km||site_ao|
|Guelph Covered Bridge||2019||0.9km||site_ao|
|The Petrie Building||2019||0.4km||site_ao|
|Halton County Radial Railway||2019||11.9km||site_ao|
|Golden Jubilee Graffito||2018||21.3km||site_ao|
|The Maple Syrup Museum of Ontario||2018||24.3km||site_ao|
|Naked Fountain Family||2017||0.4km||site_ao|
|Life Sciences Building, McMaster University||41.3km||site_brutalism|
|Dana Porter Arts Library, University of Waterloo||1963||24.8km||site_brutalism|
|South Residence, University of Guelph||2.8km||site_brutalism|
|Mathematics and Computer Building, University of Waterloo||24.9km||site_brutalism|
About the source: Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura aims 'to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share'. You can contribute to their collection on their website.